Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Swiss steak

Tonight's dinner will be swiss steak.  Since it's just my husband and 2 1/2 year old granddaughter, I can make it the way I like.  Others in the family have an aversion to onions and peppers, so I usually can't add as much and have to chop them finely enough they can't tell they are in the dish.
I am only making a small amount, maybe

3/4 to a pound of top round steak
1/2 cup onions
1/4 cup orange bell peppers cut in thin strips
6 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup red wine
one 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
salt, pepper and paprika to taste
For me 5 mushrooms sliced

Dredge thin slices of steak in flour, place in a sizzling pan with olive oil, and give it a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper.  I use an every day pan.  If there was only one pan in my kitchen, the every day pan is the one I would choose.  Brown meat on both sides and remove to a plate and keep warm.  I sauteed my mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt and pepper at this point, as I need to keep them separate--my husband does not like them--and remove them to a small dish and keep warm.  Add more olive oil and saute onions and peppers with a sprinkle of salt and fresh ground pepper, remove to dish with steak.  Quickly saute minced garlic, then add the wine to deglaze the pan, simmer for a minute or so.  Slip the steak, onions and peppers back into the pan, add paprika to taste, give a stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, I put a cover on for the last 5 or 10 minutes.  
While I was cooking the swiss steak, peeled and cut 3 potatoes and put them in water with a little salt to cook till tender.  When they are tender I drain the water and mash them with butter and milk, adjust the salt and add fresh ground pepper.
With this I could have a salad, but since I have peas and pearl onions leftover from last night, they will be wonderful.
Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking for myself and our 2 1/2 year old granddaughter , it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete