Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Sausage and Steamed Vegetables

Last night was one of those last minute 'What to Fix for Dinner' kind of days.  Breakfast sausage won out over all the other things in my freezer.  Besides, my family loves sausage of most any kind.

6-8 small carrots
1 small yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
olive oil or butter
salt
fresh ground pepper
basil (my seasoning of choice when it comes to carrots)
12 little links or breakfast sausage (3 for each person)
1 leftover baked potato (since the little ones aren't fond of fried potatoes)
sliced onions and sliced peppers

Peel carrots and sliced them about 1/4 inch thick and place them in the bottom of the steamer pan.  Then wash and slice squash about 1/4 inch thick and lay them over the carrots.  Wash and clean red bell pepper and slice 1/4 inch thick and layer them over the squash.  Place steamer pan over boiling water, cover and adjust heat to med-high.  Steam until desired tenderness.  Place steam vegetables in serving dish, season as desired, (this is when I use the olive oil, salt, pepper and basil).  Cover to keep warm until serving.
Cook the sausage in a pan or skillet (I used my every day pan) over med heat.  I had one leftover baked potato, so I cut it into small cubes and browned it with some onion and peppers in the every day pan after the sausage was cooked.  Simply move the sausage to the edge of the pan to stay warm and put the potatoes, onion and peppers in the middle, then season with salt and pepper.

I was really looking for something low-calorie and lots of vegetables. Dinner was very colorful.  Since my husband does not particularly like squash, I didn't know how the steamed vegetables would work.  However, he told me it was a nice mix of vegetables and they went well with the sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment