Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cookware


My Everyday Pan
When I got married over 43 years ago, I had to make do with some hand-me-down pots and pans from my mother and my mother-in-law.  Since I was a fairly new young cook, it was good move.  Christmas a few years later, my husband gave me a set of ‘Magnalite’ cookware. It was heavy and durable, except the large skillet soon became warped, but I still have it and still use it from time to time.  When our first two children married, we bought them each a set of ‘Magnalite’.   The pots and pans we used in the restaurant were very much like ‘Magnalite’, except being restaurant quality. 

Recently, I have added some new pans to my collection.  The first one was called an ‘Everyday Pan’.  The name says it all.  You could use it every day.  If I only had one pan in my kitchen, this is the one. 
Kielbasa with Apples & Carrots

Lots of time I use it to make a one dish meal.  Saute’ meat, add a few vegetables, maybe some beans, pasta or rice.  That’s a great way to use up leftovers.  Sometimes, I use it to fry bacon and then fry up some hominy in the drippings.  It can also go from stove top to oven for more cooking or to keep warm.  I used it the other day to make chicken marsala.  Everything cooks up nice and cleans up well. For serving the family kitchen style, the Everyday Pan can go from stove to table for easier serving.

I love cooking, so I don’t need expensive things to turn out a nice dinner, but adding this pan has made cooking more fun as I can imagine a taste and be more creative.

When my husband bought that set of cookware 40 years ago, I thought I would use every piece really often, but I never did.  Some pieces got used a lot, while others just sat there.  I would never buy an entire set of cookware again.  I would be more selective and choose the ones that would do the best job for what I want to cook.  My cookware would not even be of the same brand.  I have a sauté pan by Paderno, made in Canada, that I picked up while in Nova Scotia a few years ago.  I have several pieces of Caphalon.   The way I cook now is a lot different than it used to be, as I learn new cooking skills and add new tools to my kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment