Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Warmer weather means Deviled Eggs

My husband loves deviled eggs, more than that, he loves my deviled eggs.  I use very little mayonnaise and plenty of yellow mustard.  Over the years I have made deviled eggs for friends and church groups and even in our restaurant. These are the ingredients I use:

9 eggs that are not too fresh
1 teaspoon of mayonnaise
yellow mustard (French's is the one I prefer)
salt
fresh ground pepper
paprika

I don't use really fresh eggs as they don't peel very well after cooking.  Then your eggs look like the dibbets on a golf ball.  Place older eggs in a pan of cold water covering the eggs by an inch, place over medium high heat and bring to a simmer.  Turn the heat off and cover with a lid for 15 minutes.  Drain the water, cool down with cold water and peel the eggs.
Cut eggs in half so they will be oval in shape.  Remove the yolks to a small bowl, using a fork, mash with to taste salt, add the mayonnaise, fresh ground pepper, and enough mustard to make it the consistency you desire.  Fill the hollows of the egg whites with the yolk mixture.  Sprinkle with paprika, chill and serve.

You can vary the proportions to your own taste.  If I am serving them today, I use less mustard.  If I am serving them tomorrow, I use more mustard.  Good deviled eggs don't need pickles and relish.  I save those for the hot dogs and hamburgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment